RGL PUGs Public Alpha
Hey everyone, thanks for your patience as we worked/pulled our hair out to get our first playable prototype out to the public!
As of last night, we have launched a public playtest to start gathering feedback from players, identify bugs, and be able to start rapid development! We’ve already played a few pugs, found a few bugs, and are working to fix them, but you can keep up with the latest prototype and click around at https://pugs.tf.plus/pug. Please note that the PUG system is not 100% stable during this period and things may crash or change. This first iteration is purely meant to get something out to the public, stress test, and gather feedback.
If you’re interested in knowing exactly when new updates are pushed and playtests are happening, be sure to follow this thread and join the RGL Discord (rgl.gg/pugs) so you can join your team voice chat!
In terms of commonly asked features, we do plan to add the following:
- Other gamemodes like HL
- Captain-style specific queues for higher div players
- View PUG history/player stats/elo
- Sub or forfeit option
- Visual cleanup/site responsiveness
- Donor perks
I want to include the community in on the development of this, so if you have any ideas for/against any decision we make, we need to know!
As always, please leave feedback in this thread or by contacting me @ DolphiN#2754!
If you would like to help develop this project and have mid-senior web dev experience or any other skillset you think could help, you can apply to the RGL dev team @ https://rgl.gg/Players/Reporting/StaffApplication.aspx
DolphiN Seems like unless you manually unadd, you are added permanently. This seems like it could clog queues given a high volume.
goplayer We definitely plan to have it detect if you close the tab so that it can automatically remove you from the queue.
After doing enough playtests, I have now added a dedicated server so that there can be PUGs ran at any time!
We also plan to launch highlander as a gamemode option soon, so keep your eyes posted for that announcement!
DolphiN Do you need to have played in RGL before to use these pugs?
malarkeyman Currently all that’s required is a Discord-linked RGL account.
Thank you everyone who has played in the public alpha so far! I am very proud of the work we’ve done so far and have received a lot of good feedback that we have both already added and will implement down the road. Since the last update, we have added the option to sub a player on your team out, along with being able to view pugs currently running. Note that it requires either 3 players to vote for a sub or the player to sub themselves out for it to go through and the pug will be killed if two subs are needed at the same time. Our next priorities for this week are highlander PUGs and a separate captained advanced-invite queue. One thing we would like to think about is the classic lack of medics in a pug problem, and we would like your help in doing so! For the next week, we are going to run a poll to gather opinions on the best way to handle it. If there is enough demand, we will implement an auto-draft for a while and gather further feedback afterwards.
Here is the link to the poll: https://strawpoll.com/polls/e2narE0DMgB
You can choose multiple options or create your own.
Thank you again for all of the feedback you’ve given so far, and feel free to contact me/post here if you have any questions.
I’ll start posting here again for any major updates and more about the progress.
UPDATE - 9/18
- Elos should be migrated to be updated with all RGL experience and pug results and now actually auto-update.
- If you hover over a player in the queue, stats will be shown.
- You can now sort player lists by elo, average # player they are picked as, and average round win %. When you sort by these, stats for all players will be shown.
Hopefully these metrics make captaining a bit easier to do. Next major items include player profiles with more stats and past pugs.
- Requeueing now persists through updates, so you should be needing to queue as classes individually less often (if at all)
- Team voice chats now self-destruct after a couple minutes instead of immediately
- Players that play pugs and win at least one round of HL or 6s (captained or uncaptained) since September 18th are automatically entered into an exciting raffle for an upcoming RGL project currently called ‘100 Fish’. The top 3 players for each format are guaranteed a spot. Click the new ‘100 Fish’ button on the sidebar for a sneak peek