pl_eruption

Topic created · 5 Posts · 119 Views
  • Current version: Alpha28

Welcome to Payload Eruption! After 8 months in development hopefully it would be worth the wait.
    What I made here was what i thought mercenary park would look like when valve announched the jungle themed update and also I had some really specific goals with this map that i wanted to accomplish with this map.

• I wanted the first area to be on a beach , the second on a cave , the third somewhere inside jungle and the last inside the volcano.

• I didn’t want to add any buildings in this map. Not a single one. It was really hard believe me.

-I wanted the path that the payload takes to do a circular motion around the volcano. Something like Upward.

• and finally I wanted the whole thing to take place on a jungle island.

I think i did a pretty good job so far and I am looking forward to seeing how the map plays.

I am curious to see where the map goes and what you guys think. Feel free to reach out to me, give me feedback and suggestions.

TF2Maps download page: https://tf2maps.net/downloads/pl_eruption.7963/

0225b3f8-2ac4-437e-bebb-6ab1ee612966-image.png
    9f459d01-848f-465d-b094-be58baa9657a-image.png
    87e68edb-460a-4ff4-9a49-76e232500c1b-image.png
    d10fd57d-64fe-4ae9-9a24-238d3024a321-image.png
    8ee92ccf-4506-483e-8042-47cec78b1501-image.png
    bced2481-f3e7-4921-98e1-c0434f198dcf-image.png
    b7493b48-d394-4c61-8561-b5b2ec582503-image.png

• In today’s pugs, feedback I heard a lot was:

1- the ammo (and health) seems out of the way/hard to find on this map

2- there is a hold on last, from red’s perspective on the top left, that is very strong and near impossible to break since it’s close to spawn and also watches everything.

consider upward, where the only holds that are that easily accessible from spawn are distanced from the cap and players on cart are shielded from people holding there, for example from the crates. Therefore a much stronger hold is in Tiles, which is not very easy to reach from spawn.

i think last could be much better if that hold wasn’t as safe or it wasn’t as easy to spam cart/players on the ground from there, while the hold across was strong as usual.

• second is hard to push, and the sniper sightlines are really long on 1st and 2nd. you might also wanna add an extra minute of cap time before you cap first. we almost ran out of time on it.

• The second waterfall hold is really janky to push because they only have to watch one angle and they are comparatively very safe, especially the medic, and have high ground and can watch everything.

This could be fixed in two ways IMO. One is to straight up remove the waterfall area as far as gameplay is concerned, walling it off with glass. This essentially forces defense to play in a passive position, though, so idk how good it is - others may have better input. The other way could be to link the left area to the waterfall - this would force players holding in that position to watch two angles with less safety, allowing flank to play more on that point.

Also, in general I feel like players have to commit too hard to 2nd to cap it, maybe because the point is really far back. I’m not entirely sure how big of a problem this is or how it could be fixed, though. Maybe making the stream under the waterfall less deep and moving point into it?

• In this update Eruption got remade from scratch. Those are the reasons:

–Overall changes–
    ➤ Reworked the map in such a way that super long sightlines are not a thing anymore.
    ➤The water got removed for competitive
    ➤Tried to improve the flow of the map
    ➤The map is no longer super open and wide thus the fights will happen in certain locations now.
    ➤Every location of the map has a purpose now. I didnt put it just for decoration or such.
    ➤In order to use the highground you have to earn it first.
    ➤Snipers will have to rotate now (especially on last to take advantage of the sightlines.
    ➤The set up areas are much more obvious now.
    ➤Added more cover and areas to hide ( that should help with the uber pushes)
    ➤Some paths now have obstacles up in the air that deny players from high bombing
    ➤The map got simplified overall. It’s easier to understand where you’re going now
    ➤Added more hp/ammo packs around the map.
    ➤Made sure that the map would be much brighter now.

–Point A–
    ➤ Now the first point is a straight line similar to badwater/upward
    I decided to go with this approach so A and C can feel more different from eachother this way.
    ➤Point A was completely remade from scratch. It doesnt look anything like the one that came before. The focus was on the ways to attack and where to setup predominately.
    20210427184304_1.jpg 20210427184317_1.jpg
    –Point B–
    ➤The idea of the old second point still remains here which means that I kept the waterfall and the cave theme.
    ➤Now the cart follows ‘The flank’ path that goes underneath the waterfall instead of right in front of it. That should allow classes like pyro,demoman,heavy and soldier to shine more.
    20210427184345_1.jpg 20210427184331_1.jpg 20210427184356_1.jpg
    –Point C–
    ➤Point C remains pretty much the same, I reworked the areas around the point though.
    ➤Added a fallback zone for the cart and also the point got pushed back.
    20210427184413_1.jpg 20210427184418_1.jpg
    –Point D–
    ➤The rounded design was kept.
    ➤Both Red and Blu have the equal highground now.
    ➤Blu’s high ground is much more restricted though.
    ➤Red’s highground was designed in such a way that forces snipers to rotate so as to have a clear sight of the enemy.
    ➤Replaced the vent flank with an actual room now. The idea is that blu can choose this route to attack red’s highground but in order to do that they will have to be completely dedicated to this route and also to spend 10 secs or so walking around it.
    20210427184432_1.jpg 20210427184439_1.jpg
    Notes:
    I would like to thank:
    ➤RGL.gg
    ➤TESTCO.TF

And more specifically:
    ➤Vibeisveryo and Dwaggy
    For their help and feedback. Those guys playtested eruption in their servers multiple times and were able to provide so much feedback.