KOTH Cascade

Topic created · 47 Posts · 1019 Views
  • rocks
    these rocks look like something you should be able to walk up smoothly but bc of the clipping of the wall you can’t

I’ll wait until getting a chance to play it more before sharing in-depth thoughts, however I can tell right away that I’ll be sad about the changes to batts. I enjoyed taking fights around that part of the map but now its mostly smaller interiors which don’t exactly have the most thrilling fights.

• alt text

alt text

alt text

this is pain

• @BMPD how is that much different from the existing fence spot on current cascade that already is a bit meh

• From just judging based on the pictures. The sniper is hidden vs being fully exposed in the old version.

• 7dc13633-5436-4417-9601-1d5415eb7724-image.png

This shit too low, make it taller.

Also ammo packs on point

• I’ve released an update for Cascade in preparation for its inclusion in the RGL Experimental Highlander Cup. This update introduces several layout changes and quality of life improvements made in response to player feedback, in addition to a lighting overhaul and other visual changes.

Download

Changelog:

Screenshots:

• @Defcon
    It’s so pretty!! wow !

The only two things I’ve noticed are that it seems when I go lower the rushing water sound keeps playing no matter where I go (and even on respawn) and it’s quite loud. And there’s a truck with broken lighting or textures by spawn (but that’s really nbd)

Good work 🙂

• @fleeble said in KOTH Cascade:

@Defcon
    It’s so pretty!! wow !

The only two things I’ve noticed are that it seems when I go lower the rushing water sound keeps playing no matter where I go (and even on respawn) and it’s quite loud. And there’s a truck with broken lighting or textures by spawn (but that’s really nbd)

Good work 🙂

actually, it seems that the sound glitch doesn’t happen on the server where we just loaded up the map so not sure what that was about!

• if a single one of u mouthbreathers complains about ‘sniper op’ tomorrow i will personally wage righteous jihad against your bloodline until the end of time, the work defcon put in to making sniper manageable on this latest version is herculean

some things you should keep in mind instead:

1. does the raised point help (by limiting sightlines) or hurt (by giving defenders potential height advantage) the gameplay flow of the map?
      subpoint: what’s the strength vs. difficulty for holding on the point vs. holding behind it? traditional HL logic suggests that holding on the point is stronger but more difficult to pull off. how does that dynamic play here?
    2. related: does the increased tunnel height (as a result of the point increase) make forcing a defensive soldier out of your own tunnel unreasonably difficult due to having height disad?
    3. do the geometry changes to concrete that make backing out more difficult have any major repercussions on kiting ubers?
    4. how do the new catwalks (on left outside of tunnel) affect gameplay? is it viable option for a fast combo push?
    5. i can’t believe i’m typing this, but after running around on the map and ringing in a scrim on it the idea ran through my head: do the nerfed sightlines + raised height of mid make it too difficult to push point? have we finally reached the point where we need to buff a map’s sightlines?
    6. how does the redesigned first floor feel? does it give attackers viable options to reach point and rotate safely?
  • I think v2 has a lot of promise. Sniper’s more fun to play against (calling sniper right / left bats is really annoying but I guess it can be solved with more refined callouts) because there’s less spots for him to be.

During the map cup we decided that playing on point was the best hold .

Now my criticisms:
    The area between the point and house is way too tiny.

Fighting a soldier who decided jump into your tunnel isn’t fun. The only way to deal with him isn’t fun is by spamming rockets or stickies until he dies. You can’t walk at him as scout or engineer because he has height advantage in a tunnel.

Original cascade you could push from concrete and the other side of the map depending on where the other team’s sniper was sitting. In the new cascade, I think the only valid spot to push from is concrete mostly due to how the one of the only sightlines is bats.

https://demos.tf/639528
    https://demos.tf/639549

^ Our match demos

• @wish i def think the area between point and house could be elongated and the slope less steep, but not as long as original cascade, that was too much. would also help with the high ground in caves

• also agree with alto that contesting players in caves is too difficult bc high ground on caves. im not sure actually moving caves up was super needed?

• The degree of steepness in the current version did feel to me perhaps a bit of a hypercorrection, but I cannot swear that the awkwardness was anything more than unfamiliarity/Uncanny Valley.

• @wish said in KOTH Cascade:

Fighting a soldier who decided jump into your tunnel isn’t fun. The only way to deal with him isn’t fun is by spamming rockets or stickies until he dies. You can’t walk at him as scout or engineer because he has height advantage in a tunnel.

detonator works very well for pushing soldier out of your tunnel

• Oh, yeah, and I think I also got the “spawns delayed after mid cap” thing in this version. Anyone else? Or did I imagine?

• @scaredy-bat nah my team noticed that too

• Four years after its initial release, I am proud to announce that Cascade has been updated to version RC2 in preparation for its inclusion in season 9 of RGL Highlander. This update addresses several issues identified in playtesting and feedback from the experimental cup, in addition to continued refinement of visuals and performance. While this may not be the final update to Cascade, it will most likely be the last time the map receives major layout changes. I’d like to thank everyone who has played the map and offered feedback over the years; none of this would be possible without your engagement and support.

Download

Changelog:

Screenshots

• @Defcon Thanks for your hard work and being receptive to feedback! All the changes look really nice so far. I appreciate the point being lowered and the doorway under batts being a little higher

• hi defcon

so after scrimming the map and playing a match on it, I noticed a few things that might warrant change in the next release

20210712215049_1.jpg

first off, small thing, you can build behind that glass wall in spawn if you look thru the handle in the door. not really a big deal, but troll teles exist sometimes.

20210712214624_1.jpg

second, this rock and its mirror on point are just slightly too steep, and cause players to surf and get stuck between the wood post and the rock.

20210712214342_1.jpg

on the opposite side of point, this fencing on “shield” has a wonky clip brush that can stop a player from moving if they press their face up against it.

20210712214318_1.jpg

and last thing, these slanted walls in lower can force a player to stay crouched if they crouch into them. granted it doesn’t happen often, but its really annoying to get out of when it does happen.

i think its a good change from old cascade, and i’m looking forward to new revisions 🙂