Why pl_borneo should replace swiftwater in Season 9

Topic created · 27 Posts · 214 Views
  • I totally agree with adding borneo, but I think Upward should get replaced instead. They’re maps of similar quality but swift is less stale and has better rotations

• @vibeisveryo said in Why pl_borneo should replace swiftwater in Season 9:

I totally agree with adding borneo, but I think Upward should get replaced instead. They’re maps of similar quality but swift is less stale and has better rotations

On the voting page the only option is to replace swift with borneo, which is why I didn’t go into which map I would personally replace, just went with the one rgl reccomended.

• @vibeisveryo said in Why pl_borneo should replace swiftwater in Season 9:

I totally agree with adding borneo, but I think Upward should get replaced instead. They’re maps of similar quality but swift is less stale and has better rotations

@WiLLmaTiC can comment more on this, but this is due to Swiftwater having the lowest polling ratings of the three payload maps.

His article is here - https://rgl.gg/?r=24&a=1544

“Swiftwater is second to last overall, and the lowest rated Payload map at only 60% of players enjoying it. Depending on the results of the map cup will determine it’s future in Season 9. If it is rotated out, the replacement will be announced before qualifiers.”

• @exa I see, that makes sense. Doesn’t change my personal opinion ofc lol but good context to have

• I would take Upward or Swift over Borneo any day of the week. Borneo last somehow manages to hit the perfectly dreadful spot of defenders having significant height advantage but still being able to return to hold positions very quickly without putting themselves at much risk. At least it takes time for combo to rotate back into position on Upward if they had to drop down on cart, and on Swiftwater dropping on cart puts them in a mosh pit with a handy death pit.

• @scaredy-bat right now, id take a bad map over playing the same 4 payload maps for the next 15 seasons

• @ALL-FEAR-THE-FREAK Bum you said you RETIRED. I’m gonna cartwheel over to your house at five in the morning and sprinkle cinnamon on all your socks.

• Nah replace upward with borneo and keep swift. When was the last time there wasn’t upward?

• don’t feel like writing a full essay right now, but swiftwater is the most tactically dense map in the game. The points are all so diverse and there are so many different ways to push them, unlike every other stopwatch map. People just don’t like it because 2nd is bad (every other point is awesome tho) and because they think long map = bad. That’s like saying a map is bad in csgo because it’s CT sided; harder to push means your tactical prowess/skill make a bigger difference and you get rewarded more for it.

• upward was played for the first time in HL on Jan 7, 2011 and excepting ugc s7 (which was a no-playoffs joke summer season filled with meme maps) it has not missed a single season in a fucking decade

the poll can eat my ass, no map where dealing with a dispenser block is a crucial part of pushing is good enough to warrant a decade of continuous play

• @scaredy-bat you can never truly quit tf2 you should know that by now

• I of all people understand wanting a more diverse map pool, but compromising this severely on quality just because boomer players are bored is bad for the future of the scene.

(To those who genuinely believe that Borneo is a good map, I disagree with you on that point but the above is not directed at you.)

@ALL-FEAR-THE-FREAK Ironically, yes 😛

• @scaredy-bat What future?

• @scaredy-bat said in Why pl_borneo should replace swiftwater in Season 9:

I of all people understand wanting a more diverse map pool, but compromising this severely on quality just because boomer players are bored is bad for the future of the scene.

That’s extremely exaggerated. Borneo in my opinion isn’t as good as swiftwater, but in absolute terms, it is still very much a decent and functional highlander map that is still viable for league play. As far as I’m aware, it is currently the fourth-best payload option for Highlander.

• @Constantly

(To those who genuinely believe that Borneo is a good map, I disagree with you on that point but the above is not directed at you.)

• And I replied regardless of whether it applies to my opinion. 🙂
    Making a disclaimer does not mean I cannot comment on a hyperbolic statement.

• @TheS4rr but s4rr i really enjoy my sniper being able to solo hold multiple points with the right protection xD

• @scaredy-bat
    The entire point of me writing this was to prove borneo can stand with the rest of the payloads as not only an interesting and unique map, but as one worthy of being played. Trust me I would rather play good maps every season, than have bad ones rotated in just for the sake of consistency. At the end of the day it comes down to differences of opinion, some people just will play a map and find it bad, because they did not find it fun, but id like you to take an objective look and really think, is borneo so much worse than all other payloads currently in rotation? If so, what makes it worse?

• So many words about how defending is fun (which nobody really argues it isn’t) and absolutely no mention of how pushing each point is like putting a toothpick under your toenail and kicking a door

• @Constantly It’s not a hyperbolic statement when people in the thread literally said

right now, id take a bad map over playing the same 4 payload maps for the next 15 seasons

I appreciate the thoughtful detail of the OP. I’ve already put in my US$0.02 on some of the issues I have with Borneo and why I don’t think it’s no worse than the staple PL maps.